Coronavirus is a virus that attacks the respiratory system. This virus can cause disorders of the respiratory system, acute pneumonia, and even death.
Coronavirus or better known as Virus 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a new type of coronavirus which is transmissible to humans. This virus was first discovered in the city of Wuhan, China, at the end of December 2019. This virus spread quickly and has spread to other regions in China and to several countries.
Coronavirus is a collection of viruses that can infect the respiratory system. In many cases, this virus only causes mild respiratory infections such as flu. However, this virus can also cause severe respiratory infections, such as pneumonia, Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
Symptoms of Coronavirus
This virus infection can cause sufferers to experience flu symptoms such as runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, and fever or symptoms of severe respiratory infections such as high fever, cough with phlegm and even bleeding, shortness of breath, and chest pain.
However, in general, there are 3 general symptoms that can indicate someone is infected with the Coronavirus. They are:
- Hard to breathe
According to research, the symptoms appear within 2 days to 2 weeks after exposure to the virus.
When to see a doctor?
Immediately see a doctor if you experience the symptoms, especially if the symptoms appear 2 weeks after returning from China or another country that is positively infected. People suspected of being infected with Corona must be referred immediately to the nearest hospital emergency room in order to get proper treatment.
Causes of Coronavirus
The infection is caused by a coronavirus, a group of viruses that infect the respiratory system. In most cases, this virus only causes mild to moderate respiratory infections such as flu. However, this virus can also cause severe respiratory infections, such as MERS, SARS, and pneumonia.
It is suspected that the Coronavirus was initially transmitted from animals to humans. However, it was later discovered that this virus was also transmitted from human to human.
A person can be infected with coronavirus in various ways, such as:
- Accidentally inhale a splash of saliva from sneezing or coughing of the sufferers.
- Hold the mouth or nose without washing hands first after touching an object affected by the patient’s saliva.
- Close contact with sufferers, such as touching or shaking hands.
Corona can infect anyone, but more at risk of attacking the elderly as well as people who are sick or have weak immunity.
To determine whether the patient is infected or not, the doctor will ask about the symptoms experienced by the patient. The doctor will also ask if the patient is traveling to the Coronavirus endemic area before symptoms appear.
To confirm the diagnosis, the doctor will carry out the following follow-up examinations:
- Blood sample test.
- A throat swab test to examine sputum samples.
- Chest radiograph to detect infiltrates or fluid in the lungs.
Corona Virus Treatment
Coronavirus infection cannot be treated, but there are several steps that doctors can take to relieve the symptoms, namely:
- Providing fever and pain relievers. However, doctors will not give aspirin to sufferers who are still children.
- Encourage sufferers to take a warm bath and use a humidifier to relieve cough and sore throat.
- Encourage sufferers to get enough rest and do not leave the house to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Encourage and require sufferers to drink lots of water in order to maintain body fluid levels.
In severe cases, this infection can cause serious complications, such as:
Get Quick Medical Answer from a Doctor. Just Ask!
Have a medical problem? Connect one-on-one with verified Doctors online or by phone. Pediatricians and other specialists available 24/7.ASK A DOCTOR NOW!
- Secondary infection of other organs
- Kidney failure
- Acute cardiac injury
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
Until now, there is no vaccine to prevent this virus. Therefore, the best way to prevent it is to avoid the factors that can cause you to be infected with this virus, such as:
- Avoid traveling to China or other countries where Coronavirus transmission has been found.
- Use a mask when outdoors, especially if you are doing activities in public places.
- Wash your hands regularly with water and soap or hand sanitizer containing alcohol after outdoor activities.
- Avoid contact with animals, especially wild animals. In case of contact with animals, wash your hands afterward.
- Make sure you cook the meat completely before consuming it.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Do not touch the eyes, mouth, and nose before washing hands.
- Avoid being close to someone who is sick.
- Keep clean objects that are often touched and environmental cleanliness.
For someone suspected of being infected with the Corona, there are several steps you can take to prevent the virus from spreading to others.
- Do not leave the house, except for treatment.
- Try to stay apart from other people for a while. If that is not possible, use a bedroom and bathroom that is different from what others use.
- Forbid and prevent others from visiting you until you are completely healed.
- As much as possible do not have meetings with people who are sick.
- Avoid sharing eating and drinking utensils, toiletries, and bedding with other people.
- Wear a mask and gloves when in a public place or with someone else.
- Use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing then throw the tissue in the trash.